The christmas period here was wonderful! It was a time when my relationships with my German colleagues grew and developed so that I now think of many of them as friends rather than people I work with (it's amazing what a bit of mutual drunkeness can do to build a relationships). I think I evolved a little from being a visitor to the lab group to into an actual member of the group - which is great! It has made life much more pleasant.
The Germans invented many of the traditions we associate with Christmas - they are responsible for christmas trees and christmas lights. One of the great treats at Christmas is the Weihnachtmarkt (Christmas markets). You can buy all kinds of German delicacies (yes there are some) my favourites so far being: Feuerzangenbowle - a very tasty drink made from juice, glühwein and rum - which is poured over large cones of sugar and set alight to melt the suger into the glühwein; and the Bombardino which is whiskey, warm milk and Eierliquer topped with whipped cream....as the germans woulds say "sehr lecker"! I visited the Christmas markets many times with my fellow auslanders sampling a different food and beverage each time!
The HZI Institute Party was awesome...so much fun..possibly one of the best parties I have ever been to. It went over 5 floors, the cellarwas a dance floor with a DJ playing a really
good mix of songs, the ground floor had tables for eating and a buffet of food and glühwein. The first floor had the cocktail bar manned by the boys of MPAT and they had made this awesome bar out of eskys that looked a bit like an igloo. The first floor also had....wait for it....singstar! The 2nd floor was another dance floor playing really good music too and then the 3rd floor was more tables and food. There was a champagne bar in the elevator so you could take the
1 comment:
sounds like so much fun!!! I want to also try Feuerzangenbowle, it sounds delich!
Post a Comment