Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Language leads to hilarity!

A funny thing happened today!

I was on the bus on the way home today and I was talking about how I had bought a punnet of rasberries that morning and that they were delicious but quite mushy in consistency and I didn't like the mushy feeling in my mouth and after a while I couldn't eat anymore because the mushy feeling bothered me so much even though they tasted so good. There was this german guy from work who was sitting near us and snickering. Then Steve (another Australian) decides to tell me that I shouldn't use the word "mushy" as in German it is a slang word for vagina. So basically I had just sat on the bus and said in my loud foghorn voice several times "mushy, mushy, mushy", so let's think about that from the point of view of the old lady German passengers - some loud mouth is yelling from the back of the bus "fanny, fanny, fanny"....aaaaahhh...the joys of being a foreigner!

This reminds me of a story someone told me once about a night out drinking in Tokyo. He and a few friends were having drinks at a bar in Tokyo when he decided to cheers Italian style and the boys clinked their glasses together and loudly proclaimed "CHIN, CHIN"....and were a little surprised when all the nearby occupants of the bar stopped what they were doing and stared. It was only a little while later when they discovered that "chin chin" in Japanese means "penis"....

1 comment:

A Fly on the Wall said...

hehe!!
actually mushy in that context brings bad visuals.....