Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Athina - don't believe the rumours.


Before I went to Athens people would tell me that it was a horrible city and to stay for as little time as possible. But I really enjoyed my time there. Yes it is not the prettiest city and it is certainly a dirty city, but for a city that has been in existence virtually since the birth of civilisation I would expect it to be a little dirty and careworn.

Perhaps my personal interest in all things "ancient" gave me more of an appreciation for the ancient city of Athina, but it wasn't just that. I loved the atmosphere of the place with street side cafes and tavernas serving cheap food and drinks into the early hours of the morning, with both tourists and locals dining side by side! I think Athens is under-rated - don't get me wrong you couldn't spend a whole week there but a couple of nights is no problem. But be warned Athens is HOT HOT HOT!

No comments: